Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Night Prayers

I think I've mentioned a fellowship in the slum that I attend. Actually, it's more than a fellowship. It's around 250 people that gather every night except Sunday to worship and pray together.
Saturday night was awesome as well as last night. On Saturday, we (meaning me and a couple of friends) around 9 in the evening. Yes, I know that is late but they start around 7 and go up to midnight and people are free to come and go as they wish. Since by 9, my day is winding down, that is usually a good time for me.
Anyway, when we got there, all seats were taken. My friend Annet and I decided to sit on the side of the house (sort of like a concrete ledge that surrounds it) so we spread a scarf out and sat down. It was during prayer time so we began praying as everyone else was. I like our seat down. It wasn't squeezed as the benches usually are (not that I mind) and I could stretch out my legs.
That is, until the rain began. It began suddenly and was pouring. People made a mad dash for the only covering of a few iron sheets where about 20 benches are usually positioned. Since we were the farthest from this space, we were the last to squeeze under there. We were a bit wet but we managed to squeeze. So did all the other people and we managed to position every bench there as well. The benches are made for 3 people. We normally squeeze 4 to a bench. That night we managed 5! Somehow it was fun. Hearing the rain drum on the iron sheets and laughing and talking with those we were so snuggling hiding from the rain with.
The rain only lasted about 20 minutes and then we went on with prayers as usual.
Then last night was just POWERFUL. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. No rain an no one sitting. Again we arrived around 9. After a few minutes, everyone was on their feet for praise and worship. Up to midnight, no one ever sat back down again. The prayers were on a level that it's been a long time since I've experienced. Really I have no words to express what it was like last night. I wasn't able to sleep for a couple of hours after going back home. It was like being high on God.
I'm again excited about what God is doing in my life and the new things I'm learning about Him. I can't wait for what tonight will bring. It looks like rain again. But, who minds the rain? It's just rain, right?
This place has overnight prayers frequently as well. I can't wait for the next one.

No comments: