Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's Day has usually been a day of dread for me. Reason being is a long story, which I'd rather not go into on this blog. However, yesterday was a much different Mother's Day.
For the first time, I wasn't focused on my lack of relationship with my mother, but on the relationship I have with the 3 wonderful kids that live with me.
I've enjoyed the last year of being a "mom." I've definitely learned a lot. It's had its ups and downs. I've learned to love more than I ever thought imaginable.
Ups: lots of laughing and shouting daily around the house, hugs and kisses and I love yous before bedtime, more laughing, having a child officially become a teenager, living with a sweet teenager, Jackie losing her first teeth, all three learning to speak English, family nights out to eat........
Downs: Jackie's almost dying of AIDS, Jackie being diagnosed with cancer, chemotherapy, Jackie's mom taking her, Yosam adjusting to a new home......

Throughout all the ups and downs, I've been able to see many blessings. I've never regretted taking in any one of the three children and know that if I had refused on any of them, it would have been me that missed out. It's been a far greater blessing to me to have each one of them that I could ever be to them.

2 comments:

Blue-Eyed Mystery said...

I'm so glad you got to see the other side of Mother's Day!

QuiltMama61 said...

Mother's Day is always bittersweet for me. On the one hand, my own mom & I had many struggles as I was growing up. Then I became a mom myself and determined that I would love my kids unconditionally. So in a weird twisted way, my own mother's mistreatment of us kids caused me to strive to be a GOOD mom to my own. Have I succeeded? Well one of mine is all grown, and the other one is getting there. Guess you'd have to ask them someday whether I succeeded as a good mom. hee,hee,hee