Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Light and Darkness

I John 1 5-7

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light, in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

I was reading this today after several frustrating conversations about how much you should attend church. My argument was that even if I attend church every day of the week, if I'm not choosing to live right, I wouldn't be better off. I'm sure there are many people who are regular church attenders but also are habitual sinners.

So, when I read this, it got me to thinking about really what is light and what is darkness. I came to the conclusion that light is what is pure, righteous, holy and truthful and that darkness is the complete opposite. Light is revealing. Darkness hides things. God is in the light but the darkness is where He cannot be found since the two cannot exist at the same time.

This made me think about my own life. Do I choose to habitually walk in darkness or do I try to habitually walk in light? My prayer is that I will consciously make a daily choice to walk in light and that my life will be a testimony to the light of God.

No comments: