Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Young Adults: A Force of Change Within the Church

Who says you have to be eligible for a senior discount to be a person of faith in the church? I know several young adults that have a faith that I admire. I know that they are still growing and maturing in their walk with the Lord, but they also have a steadfast love for Christ that can be learned from.
So many times, young adults are neglected or seen as a not so important ministry within the church. This seems strange to me because at the same time they are a group that is called on to serve in the church. Frequently, it is not enough that they serve in only one ministry. Since they have nothing else to do, they should be there any time the church doors are open to serve in every facet of the church. Can you hear my sarcastic tone?
Many times the leadership of churches sees this group as an immature,impulsive, and reckless group and find the easiest way to deal with them is to just simply ignore or oppress them. Instead of being challenged to grow in their giftings, they are often used for the menial or scrap tasks that no one else in the church wants to do.
But, I think if the young adults were viewed differently, such as a vibrant and vital part of the church, they could be used to help the church grow and change in dynamic ways. Most young adults are still in love with God with total abandonment. Their love is still fresh. They are transparent, vocal and passionate. They have a heart for studying Scripture and seeing lives transformed. They are an untapped source of growth and strength for the church. But, perhaps it is easier for the leadership of churches to press this group into the shadows of the church rather than to be challenged by them.

1 comment:

A.C.M. said...

I remember my disapointment with a church event when I could be considered "young"; it made me feel as if I was being mislead so that I would be viewed in a bad light. I don't know if the church elder was simply mistaken or acting deliberately to "misinform" about my participation in an event, but it still stung me. See I remember the embarassment after all these years. Yea, I know we should be slow to find offense, but you sure can feel it.