Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Arms Opened Wide

Sunday night I went to a church about 45 minutes outside of Little Rock to share about missions in Uganda. Since any place more than 15 minutes away from Little Rock seems rural to me, I knew I would be going to a little, bitty town. I drove up to the church at the last possible second, not on purpose, but because I took a small detour (meaning a wrong turn).
I slipped in and quietly sat in the back. The church building itself was small and only about 35 people filled the pews. That was a relief to me since my fear of speaking seems to be much less in smaller groups.

Service was opened with a prayer and then we all sat to begin praise and worship. This was quite different for me. Praise and worship in Africa is a moving experience and I mean that literally. Even the church that I attend usually here on Sundays, we rarely sit during any kind of music. But, since everyone sat down, I also sat down. And actually, being the shy person that I am, I actually liked it. I didn't have to feel self conscious at all, but was able to close my eyes and sit in the presence of my God.
At one point I looked up and sitting about 3 pews in front of me was a man who was about 80 years old. He had his arms open wide, lifted up, reaching out in praise to God. I don't know why this moved me so much. I knew this man was in total awe of God, completely in love with Him. It touched my heart to see a man to be able to completely abandon himself to worship.
I also began to think of how heaven will look. So many people worshipping God in so many ways but not judging each other as to which one is right or which way is the best.

No comments: