Pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

Red Bull and a Dead Body

Sometimes as I walk through certain places of Uganda, usually the slums and the villages, I'm amazed at how I feel like I'm going back in time. In most of these areas there has been very little development. Most still don't have running water and things are done manually meaning every item of clothing is washed by hand with water that the person has sometimes walked for two miles to get. Many of my friends living in these areas are still living in the exact same condition as when I left them over a year ago. Nothing has changed.
Then other times I'm amazed as I walk through the parts of Uganda where the more wealthy and upcoming middle class live and find that things are changing quickly. There are new roads being paved with no potholes or in some cases mini lakes in the road. There are new houses and apartments being built with all the amenities that those of us from the west are used to. But, may I add, that these places are usually not affordable to neither the average Ugandan nor to us low budget missionaries.
Yesterday evening as I was walking to the market to pick up what I was to cook for dinner, a Red Bull truck passed. When I left Ugandan last year, Red Bull had not yet made it to Uganda. It seems it has come. The truck had a huge Red Bull can loaded on the back of it. My thoughts just went to the fact that not many of the people I know can afford to drink Red Bull.
As I was leaving the market, I noticed along the side of the road the body of a young man curled up. At first I thought it was just a mad man who had decided to sleep by the side of the road (not an uncommon sight) or a drunkard who had forgot where his home was. But, as I and the people walking around me got closer, we noticed that there was no movement at all from this body. Not even the slightest movement of a breath. Needless to say this was quite disturbing. But, as things here are, you don't stop to investigate such things, you just keep moving and pray that a security guard or policeman will quickly stumble upon the body and be able to locate the family.
So, in the midst of Red Bull development, life seems to go on much the same for most of us here in Uganda, grateful for each day that we wake up and make it through the day.

No comments: