Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Responsibility

So, I'm very used to my house being raided by a multitude of children over holiday breaks. It's very different being a full time "parent" during school time. You see during the holidays, there's so many of them that it's very little work for me. There's no school the next morning so I don't have to worry about bedtimes, clean uniforms, waking up early, cooking, etc. I just let the girls pretty much have a month long sleepover during holiday time. They cook when they want. My only job is to make sure food is available in the house. They sleep when they want and wash clothes when they want.
Having one seems to be more work, especially since school has to be considered. I actually have to be responsible and make sure someone else is ready for the day besides myself. I have to consider having dinner ready when Mary gets back from school (6p.m. on some days and picking her up from school at 9 p.m. on others).
It's definitely been life changing but fun. I like that it is challenging me to grow more. And it's been a joy to watch Mary change in the short time that she's been with me. She's talking more, although language still challenges us. She's starting to feel more free in the house, letting me know what she needs or wants. Yesterday we even spent the day together in town and she was able to get on internet for the first time. Later in the evening when a friend of mine came by the house, she was proudly telling him of all that we had done during the day. It was nice to see her smiling!

No comments: