Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Yet Another One

This is Okello. After he saw my excitement on some of the other students' school reports, he made sure to point out his position to me. He was number 8 in a class of 40 students (same class as Douglas).
I'm really proud of Okello. I met him and his two older brothers a year ago when I moved into my former apartment. There was a house being built just behind it and that's where these guys were sleeping. They weren't true street kids but in a way they were. Their dad has 8 wives and something like 30 children. He sends none of the kids to school. The boys basically do what they can for survival. So, they were sleeping in an unfinished house and would move around the village during the days looking for food or scrap metal to sell for food. The three of them returned to school at the beginning of this year. They've been working hard, especially Okello!

No comments: