Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

Well, today is Thanksgiving Day, at least for the western developed countries. Since I'm here in Uganda, I won't be celebrating it in the typical American fashion. Some years I have chosen to completely skip it and other years I've done things like go out for pizza with friends. Today I'm meeting up with friends from Eritrea and going to eat Ethiopian food. I'm not real sure the difference between Eritrean and Ethiopian food or if there is any difference. But, since the restaurant we are going to is owned by Ethiopians, I'll say we are eating Ethiopian food.
It's funny how the two countries are at odds with each other but for those living outside their countries, they tend to blend together. I guess this shows that for the majority of the people, the differences are not important. It's more of a government issue.
I've also noticed how even though I have no cultural ties to my Eritrean and Ethiopian friends, that we have a bond here in Uganda. We're all foreigners. It's easy to understand each other when we are struggling with a cultural issue here. It helps us to look at it from different angles and to come up with the conclusion that everyone does it different and that's just the way it's done here. I think it's has allowed me to see the beauty in the way different people do things. It's amazing how God created us all and gave each place a different way of living. But, we're all still His.
On to another topic: I ended up not meeting the landlord of the other apartment. He had to go out of town for a burial so hopefully we'll meet in the next few days. It's not looking like I'll be moved by the first of December though.

No comments: