Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

A Simple But Sweet Prayer

One of the things that I desired when I started the school was for the children to know Jesus, to know that He cares about them and loves them despite their circumstances. For me this is easier to do with older children. They can tell you what is on their mind and issues can be discussed. With a 3-6 year old this is more difficult to me. I never really can tell what is really going through their little minds.
Each day at school, we have a Bible lesson. This is usually in the form of us praying, singing and telling the children a story from a children's Bible that I have. Usually the kids look as if they are only half paying attention.
Also, before our break porridge and lunch, we pray with the children. This is usually just a short simple prayer. Again, usually the children look as though they are half paying attention, only enjoy the prayer because they know food is coming, and are squirming around in their seats.
Well, today the oldest boy asked me if he could pray for us! Of course I said yes. The little boy said a short but sweet prayer thanking God for our food and asking God to give those without food something to eat. This was coming from a little boy who rarely gets a meal outside of school. Frequently, what he gets at school is his only meal of the day. It was a lesson in faith for me to hear a young child pray for others to have food without even asking for himself.

No comments: