Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Emotions

This past week I think I've felt every emotion imaginable. It's been a crazy week. A draining week. A good week.
When Jackie's mom took Jackie on Monday, I felt like a part of me had been taken. I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't know if she would really bring her back. Would she be given her meds? Would she sleep under a mosquito net? Would she get enough to eat?
Tuesday some of my fears were relieved. Jackie's mom allowed her to call me three times. That set my mind at ease. Her mom would have had to been the one to dial the number and give Jackie the phone.
On Wednesday, Jackie was supposed to be returned to me by 1:00 in the afternoon. That time came and went. Time for Jackie's evening meds came and went. Dinner passed. It was time to sleep. No sign of Jackie an her mom's phone was turned off.
Everyone was feeling it. The other girls in the house didn't believe she would come back. They prayed. Jackie's uncle was on edge. His children told me he was pacing in front of their house and refused to sleep.
Around 10, I received a call. It was Jackie on the line. I told Jackie to put her mom on the phone and since I can't hear Luganda well on the phone, I handed my phone to Esther. Jackie's mom was asking could she bring her now. Of course.
The girls ran down to the gate and waited for two hours. It was like a queen had come home. Even the neighbors and the night guard were excited to see Jackie returned.
The next day I spent several hours with Jackie's mom, along with several people from the village that are all concerned. She opened up a lot. She told me where she lives, Jackie's grandparents' names, phone numbers and village. She also shared that she was not born again.
She told us that she left Jackie in the first place because her new husband would not allow her to come into the marriage with Jackie so she left Jackie with the relatives. That husband has since divorced her and left her with a 2 month old baby. That sounds horrible and most will think that the mother shouldn't have left. But, after living here for so long, I understand. Women have very little rights here. Their well being (especially economic) is strongly tied to their husband. When you have a child and no husband, you have very little hope.
Jackie's mom came back on Friday for our Christmas party. I was glad that she got to see Jackie with her friends, at school, having fun, etc. Her mom shared with me that she never expected to see Jackie doing this well.
When talking with Jackie's mom and her uncle, Jackie's mom said that there is no way she can take Jackie. She can't manage the meds, sending her to school, food, giving her a good place to live. She said she'll continue to come to visit her.
Her mom is also very worried about the baby. Is she also infected? We'll go to the AIDS clinic on Monday and get the baby tested.
Pray for Jackie's mom. Pray that she will have peace, that she won't look behind but to the future, that she will do what she needs to take care of her and the baby's health. Pray that she will continue visiting Jackie and that a strong, trusting relationship can be built between me and Jackie's mom. And mostly pray that her heart will be softened and that she will come to know Christ and His love.

No comments: