Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Yosam




During my years here in Uganda, I've been confronted with the reality of AIDS several times. It's heartbreaking. I've watched people suffer and die. I've lost a child that was living with me. I've lost some of my close friends. I watch mothers struggle when they are weak with the disease struggle to provide for their children. I've watched children lose their childhoods taking care of their sick parents. Many are quick to judge people who are infected saying why don't they stop risky behavior. But, the reality is, most women here don't have a choice. Their economic well being is tied to a husband. The support for their children is found in their husband. Most women (especially among the poor) have no voice to refuse sex to a husband, even when they know their husband has been unfaithful. These same women have very little control over birth control, putting their unborn children at risk.Scovia is one of these women. Her husband infected her while in her marriage. He knew he was positive and when he found out she was pregnant ran away, leaving both her and the child HIV+. Scovia has struggled to raise Yosam alone. Often they go without food. Yosam is of school going age but has never been able to attend because of lack of fees. Now Scovia is in the last stages of AIDS. Death will come at any moment. Yosam will be left alone in the world. His grandparents are refusing to take him because he is the son belonging to another family (children belong to the father here) and he's also going to die of AIDS.I got a call a few weeks back from a village leader in Scovia's village. She had heard that I take on children with such problems and was asking if I could take the child. My immediate reaction is that my house is already so full. (It's the holidays and I've got 9 girls living with me). But, I know that God will provide so I told her if she could follow up with all the necessary paperwork, I would take him. I met Scovia last week. I can't imagine being a mother knowing that I'm going to die and my child has no one. While we were talking I saw light in her eyes and a smile on her face. The friend that was with me (her neighbor) said it was the first time she's ever seen Scovia smile. Yosam will be moving into my home on Jan. 12, 2010 and beginning school the following week. I'll be taking him to visit his mom every month and his mom will (if able) come to visit him. Scovia and Yosam are currently not on ARVs. Yosam will begin taking them when he moves in with me. Scovia has little hope. Pray that God revives the fight to live in her. If she can take the ARVs, there is a chance for her to regain strength, have a prolonged life, and be able to take care of Yosam again. We are also working with the grandparents. Pray that their hearts will soften to this little boy and he'll be able to stay connected to his family. By the way, Yosam is not yet sponsored.....


No comments: