Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Continuation of the Work Permit Saga

I'm definitely learning patience and waiting on God while here in Uganda. This is especially true in waiting for my work permit. My last work permit expired while I was home last year so when I returned to Uganda in May, I returned on an entry permit valid for three months. So, in August, I began the process of applying for a new work permit. This is always an experience here. There's so much corruption which means I am constantly running up and down, back and forth, chasing for the right person to help me without having to pay a bribe. I've been bless in all the years I've been here I've been able to dodge paying one.
Anyway, back to August. I turned in the application before the expiration of my entry permit. A week later, the application was returned to me. Of course, it was after the expiration of the entry permit. The reason given was that the organization that I was applying under wasn't a nonprofit. For me to stay here as a missionary, I have to apply under a nonprofit. This is a new law just enacted, possibly when I turned in the application.
So, I asked the church I am attending to apply for me. All churches are considered nonprofits. The church agreed so we turned in the new application. A couple more weeks passed by and I was notified that my application was turned in after the expiration of my entry permit. Duh.... they gave me back the first application after it had expired. So, they wanted a letter explaining why I was late (in their words, delinquent) in applying for the work permit. In addition, I would need to apply for a special pass that would make my status in the country legal while waiting for the work permit to be approved.
This means another application had to be filled out, another letter from the church, etc. I ran around for two days getting everything together and got everything turned back in. Then began the weeks of waiting for the approval of the special pass. Finally, today I was notified that the special pass had been approved and I should come pay for it and pick up my passport. Of course, the pass was back dated to August and expires on the 14th of November. I'm praying that the work permit will be granted before that date. Like I said, it's been a lesson to be patient and trusting that God is in control.

No comments: