Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

Where Things Move Slower Than Snails

I love living in Uganda. Most of the times I enjoy the slow pace of life. I like that people take time to greet one another and talk. People are always hospitable. If you feel like walking somewhere, no one minds. In fact, most people will walk if it's a short distance.
HOWEVER, sometimes things that I think should go faster move too slowly. I don't know why I think that some things should move at a certain pace just because I want them to, but at times I grow impatient. For example, to travel 6 miles home from work, it usually takes me 1-2 hours. This past week it has taken me 5 hours every night to travel those few miles. I could walk it faster. I feel like it's such a waste of time to sit in a dark taxi for all those hours doing nothing. Another example, the internet sometimes makes me want to pull my hair out. I can't download most things. If it's something that I absolutely have to download, I should be prepared to sit and wait for at least 3 hours. Or it could be like this week when yahoo doesn't even work at all. This means that I either need to get another email account or I'll just have to wait. The slowness of the internet is also the reason my blog and facebook have no photos.
Oh well, I shouldn't complain. I should just learn to live life as it comes and make the most of each moment, however slowly it may be moving.

No comments: