Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

On a Boda Boda In the Rain

My life has been mad busy the last few weeks. It's always like that the month before school starts. I don't mind though. Actually, I much prefer business to idleness or boredom. So, this week I've been running around doing shopping, making photocopies, cleaning the school, and an assortment of other things. It's been a great week for moving around town as it's been sunny and warm.
So, today, I decided to get a number of things done. I worked with the teachers in the morning at the school preparing classrooms and getting things ready for the children to come back on Monday. Around 11:00, I went with a mom and two children to register for school. We spent a couple of hours there.
Then I headed to meet a friend in town where I was going to eat lunch, make photocopies, and burn some CDs. I jumped on a boda boda, my preference for fast travel around town. About a minute into the ride, without any notice, it began to pour. The sun was shining and it was raining, heavily. There were even small sized hail stones, not so comfortable when riding a motorcycle. It felt like I was being pelted in the face by small needles.
Needless to say, I arrived at my destination soaked. I looked as though I had jumped into Lake Victoria fully clothed, swam for an hour, and then got out. My friend just laughed when she saw me. Of course she owns her own vehicle so she was completely dry. I ended up running into the nearest store and buying a new T-shirt. It wasn't exactly planned in my budget but it's a nice shirt so.......
I was completely soaked but didn't want to buy a new skirt and everything so I just kept on the wet skirt and put on the new T-shirt. I did remove my bra though. That's a great thing about living in Africa. Many people go without, so no big deal! So, ladies if you want to come and visit, it's a comfortable place to live in that regard.
We continued with our daily activities and about 30 minutes later the sun came back out.
Another little note on this story........ I don't like drivers who just look at you sitting on the back of a motorcycle in the rain and laugh at you. I had one lady when we were stalled in traffic just look at me. Later while I was eating lunch, the same lady walked up to me and said she saw me on the boda and felt sorry for me. My thought was, if you felt sorry for me, couldn't you have offered me a ride?

No comments: