Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

A 3 Year Old Can Make Your Day

I'm so glad God gives us bright spots in our lives in the midst of chaos. Today one of those bright spots came from a 3 year old.
Scroll down a bit to the photo of the three brothers. Bashir is the 3 year old, the youngest in the photo. Since he's been big enough to know who I am, he's been a child that always brings a smile to my face. He early on claimed me as his own. Even his older brothers know not to challenge him on this.
Bashir lives in a house with many other people, five of them the age of five or under. He's smack in the middle of those five and doesn't get a lot of one on one attention. Since the two younger than him are still babies, he doesn't get picked up or held a lot. He's expected to be older than what he is, except when I'm around. He can sit in my lap for hours. If he falls asleep and someone tries to remove him from my lap, there's bound to be a mini-war before the person will succeed.
He regularly assures his grandmother that he's going to come and live with me and I think he really means it. He's now one of the students in my school and for someone to take him home at the end of the day is a near death experience for the one picking him up.
Today I decided to walk him home. His grandmother is a dear friend of mine and today was her day off from work. I wanted to visit there. I needed a place to unwind and what better way than in the midst of a bunch of children (that being said sarcastically).
Today it ended up being the perfect medicine for my mental state.
When we reached there, Bashir disappeared into the room where everyone sleeps and came out carrying a pair of light blue capris. These he said were mine. I looked at him mom and grandmother to see what was going on. I figured he was trying to give away someone else's clothes. They were both laughing.
His mother sells secondhand clothing. She gets it in bulk and then walks all over the city, going from door to door, to sell it. Turns out she had brought in a new bag of clothes the night before.
They told me that when the new bag arrived, Bashir proceeded to remove all of the clothes, inspecting each one and setting it aside. When he came to the blue capris, he informed everyone that they were for me. I think they weren't taking him very seriously so the little guy decided to make the capris disappear. He hid them from everyone. They only reappeared when I appeared for my visit.
What is amazing is as young as he is, he chose a color that I would have picked, a style that I like and just the right size! What a joy it is to be loved and thought about by a 3 year old! It made my day.

No comments: