Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

No Need to Worry But Pray for Protection

I've been so comfortable in Uganda that I sometimes forget about the risks and the things that I really need to be mindful to pray for myself, such as my protection through the night.
Most Americans enjoy the rain at night. I makes you sleep better. Well, Ugandan thieves know this as well and take full advantage of the rain to enter houses while the residents are deep in sleep.
Last night it rained. It poured. It thundered. The wind howled. It was a perfect night for thieves and they took full advantage.
Around 2 in the morning I began hearing gunshots. It's not uncommon in the area where I live. I don't live in the slum but just on the edge of it. It's close enough that most of the activities occurring there spill over into where I live. Actually, I'm in one of the slum zones although it's not part of the slum.
Since the gunshots are relatively common, I normally briefly wake up and then roll over to go back to sleep. However, last night, they were a bit too close.
I couldn't go back to sleep. Something inside me was uneasy. Electricity was cut off and there were strange noises from the sitting room. Unusual voices for that time of the night. As quietly as I could, I locked the door between the corridor and the sitting room and laid back down. I never did go back to sleep.
Once the sun was up, I decided to get up and check things out. I unlocked the door to my sitting room and found that the padlock locking the outside door had been cut off. The door leaving out the back of the house from the kitchen was wide open.
I know that God protected me. Things could have gone so much worse. Nothing was taken and no harm was done to me. Just need to go and buy a new padlock and make sure that I keep praying for my safety.

1 comment:

Shelia H. said...

Sanyu,

We will not worry, but please KNOW that we are praying for your protection and safety; and praying that God will fulfill His purpose for you and through you in Uganda. We love you!!!

Shelia H.