Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

No More Chemo!

I can't tell you how much my heart is soaring in joy right now. I went to the hospital this morning full of dread. I think I was expecting the worst. The last couple of months have been so hard that I didn't think I could dare hope for good. I was praying for it but once again my faith was really weak.
Anyway, we've spent most of this week at the hospital with Jackie having various test done to see if the cancer had spread, disappeared, or if there was no change. Today was the day we were to meet the doctor. She seemed to be the one holding Jackie's fate in her hands. Would there be more of the dreaded chemo?
we waited for almost 4 hours before the dreaded meeting. First, this was a doctor we have never met with before. She is the SENIOR doctor there and knows more about cancer than probably any doctor in the country. She was amazingly nice. She was so friendly to Jackie and very good and explaining answers to all of my (probably really dumb) questions.
Good news! No more chemo for Jackie. The doctor liked the way things looked. She said while this cancer never really cures that the ARVs keep it suppressed and for the most part there is little risk of Jackie having problems with it again.
She encouraged me to keep doing what I'm doing and said she has seen a huge change in Jackie. I didn't even know she had even noticed us there before. She said she appreciated my diligence even when things weren't easy. Apparently, most people give up quickly.
Basically, everything looks good. Jackie has to have a couple more tests run, nothing major, just some precautions. They will be monitoring her over the next few months/years to watch her progress. This I am very thankful for.
One of the things that they are not too happy with is Jackie has a really bad cough. It started about a week ago when all of us at home had colds. I immediately took her to the doctor which she was immediately given medicine for it. However, due to her weak immune system things just take a long time for her to get over. I've not really worried about it as this is the norm for her. When she came home, she had pneumonia so I suspected it this time as well.
One of the tests that she had done this week was a chest x-ray. Well, it doesn't look like it should. The doctor today said she suspects pneumonia but also wants to test for TB to rule it out.
One thing that I have been warned about is that the first year on the ARVs is the hardest. All the hidden diseases/illnesses in the child's body start coming to light as the body becomes strong enough to begin to fight back. So, there is a possibility that it is TB, but I still think it is pneumonia. It doesn't hurt to check it out though.
The good thing is that all the testing can be done through PIDC (the AIDS clinic) for free as well as any treatment needed (all still free). And, if it does happen to be TB, the clinic will test and treat everyone living in the home, also for free.
While I'm not really looking forward to be treated for TB or always testing positive for it in the future, I do have consolation in knowing that it is treatable and would have been caught really early.
And the good thing is: I'm not worried about it. Even if she has TB, I believe the worst is behind us. NO MORE CHEMO!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you guys :). I hope all is well.

Shelia H. said...

Praise Him!!!