Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Not a Mzungu Anymore

I'm not a mzungu anymore! At least to people who know me. So, what is a mzungu? It's what foreigners in Uganda are called. A lot of people (most especially those that are here for a few weeks to visit) enjoy having this shouted at them. But, frankly, I hate it. It's annoying and feels quite racist to me. Maybe it's just me, but it seems rude to just go shouting at someone. If a Ugandan were in the states, and we shouted at them "Hey, Black!" I think he/she would be just as offended.But, over time I have grown accustomed to it. What else can I do? It's so widespread that you can't tell everyone to stop it. I've grown so used to it that I rarely even hear people shouting it anymore. I'm that good at tuning things out and entering my own little world in my mind!
Anyway, back to the point of the story. Jackie loves seeing a mzungu. It doesn't matter young or old, male or female. A couple of weeks ago we had a new "mzungu" arrive in the country. I let her go to the airport with me to pick him up. She quickly claimed him as her mzungu and no one can convince her otherwise.
One of my friends asked her about me, wasn't I her mzungu. Jackie's response: "Aunt Cari IS NOT a mzungu. She's brown like me." All the kids laughed. And I've noticed that none of my kids call me mzungu. They all run to me shouting, aunt Cari. But, they sure do get excited when the see a new "mzungu"!

1 comment:

Shelia H. said...

Too funny!!!! LOL! I can't wait until I'm the new Mzungu in town :)