Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Still A Long Way To Go

I don't know how I convinced myself that treatment for Jackie's chemo was going to be so simple. Maybe that was my way of keeping my head together. I had somehow understood that she was going to be getting one injection every week for six weeks with maybe some vomiting or other small side effects. WRONG!
First, the first two weeks were I think pretty close to the hardest weeks of my life. I had a screaming (nonstop) child on my hands, no sleep, a disgusting house, and several other children home for the holidays (all with their own issues going on).
After the first couple of weeks it did get easier. At least she wasn't so sick, only week the day of and day after the treatment. Until this past week. Another high temperature, stuffy nose, sore throat. But, at least no screaming.
Then today we went for the 6th treatment, the whole time me thinking it was to be the last. This little bit of celebration was short lived as the doctor told me. "No. This is just the beginning. You see. The tumor is still slightly visible under her foot."
So, we get next week off (that is, except our visit to the AIDS clinic). The week after we get to again experience the joy of sitting in the hospital 12 hours each day waiting in lines so that every part of her body can be tested for any trace of cancer. Then on Oct. 15, we get to see the SENIOR doctor to hear the verdict. I'm told most likely a few more months of chemo. They will combine two different types of chemo. This time around we shouldn't be having to go every week, HOPEFULLY. It should be something like every three weeks.
I did hear that sometimes this type of cancer that they will leave it to be treated with ARVs alone. I'm hoping that this will be a safe, effective alternative for Jackie's case.
And to top all this off, I had to take Jackie to the dentist this past week because of her having pain in her teeth. When I got her, I already knew she had a mouth full of cavities, but being that so much else has been wrong, I've been trying to tackle one thing at a time.
Now, she needs to have several teeth removed which at this point is a huge risk. The doctors are advising against it since both the HIV and the chemo weaken the immune system. They said there is too much risk of infection. The dentist has agreed but said there is still risk as the cavities have entered deep into the roots of her mouth, meaning there is still risk of her having an infection in her bloodstream due to bad teeth. He said if it gets too bad, he and the doctors will have to weigh which way leaves her at most risk of infection and the teeth may have to be removed anyway.
All of this on top of now having no electricity for four days, a leaking toilet (yes, water was finally restored to my apartment after months without), and running out of gas to cook with. Hopefully, I'll get gas to cook with soon (that is, if it's available at this time in the country) and eventually electricity will come back on!
At least there are some bright spots in all this. The new school building is almost ready! The wall is almost finished and we should have the kids in class there next week!
Mary, the quiet angel at home, has greatly improved in school. All of her scores have more than tripled. Her school sends home monthly reports. Her first month in school, her math score was a 5. This month it was 64! Yes, I know that in the U.S. that is a D. But, here the grading scale is completely different so a 64 is good! I know by the end of the year it will be somewhere in the 80s. Math seems to be her best subject and hopefully science will pick up as well. It will be awesome to see her excel in those areas. There are still few women in those fields here in Uganda so if she can keep it up, who knows where she will go!

No comments: