Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wasted Potential

Every day I walk through a slum. I'm so used to the place that many times I don't notice the sights or smells that I'm passing by. What I notice are my friends, the children that run to greet me, the old ladies that give me advice, and the unlimited potential.
But, the last few days, walking through has become a bit depressing again. I think death does that to a person. The last few days I've noticed how much of this unlimited potential gets wasted. How many of those teen girls got pregnant out of desperation to be loved? How many mothers live dangerous lives just to feed their children? How many of the men wouldn't abandon their families if they had a steady job? How many of this next generation are going to grow up and continue the cycle of poverty?
The few children I've put in school seems to be of no significance. At least to me at times. I have to constantly remind myself of the story of the boy throwing the starfish back into the ocean. There were so many that it probably didn't make any difference but for each individual starfish it made a difference. That is true for my kids. When I look at the whole slum, what I'm doing is making no impact. But, on each individual life, there is a change.
For most, they will be the first in their family to finish even the simplest level of school: primary school! They now have the chance to dream of even getting into university (some with scholarships) and making it out of the slum, making a difference in their families.
I am proud of each one of my kids. While they may not always make the best choices, they are fighting hard to rise above every obstacle that has been set in their way.

No comments: