Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

African Time

UHHHHHH! One of the things that I really enjoy about Uganda is that time really doesn't exist or at least have much meaning. It means time to really take time to be a friend. It means time to get to know someone. It means time to build relationships.
One bad thing is that I now frequently midjudge time. This happens usually when there is something important happening like picking someone from the airport. It seems every time someone arrives, it means my having to go through town during peak hours of traffic! And no matter what time I leave from my house, I have yet to arrive at the airport to pick someone up on time.
This is my first year to have visitors (perhaps that is the problem). The first was my boss and I was (I think) something like two hours late picking him up! I found him nearly dozing in the waiting area of the airport. Then on top of that I hadn't thought about what to feed him when he arrived. We stopped and got something to eat off the side of the road. Lucky for me, he's an easy going guy and didn't fuss or complain about my mishap.
Next to arrive: Teen Serve. I was again late to the airport. They didn't (until now) know this. Lucky for me they were a big group and it took them a while to get through immigration and to get their luggage. Therefore, I was able to look as though I'd been waiting there all along!
Then there's today. My third visitor and his first impression of me: irresponsibility. I was a little over an hour late picking him up. And I had left my house two and a half hours earlier to drive only 30 kilometers! Crazy! Nuts!
So, my advice to anyone heading to Uganda to visit me. I probably won't be there when you arrive. So, grab a cup of coffee, make yourself comfortable, and I'll be there in a few minutes (or a couple or hours)!

No comments: