Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Encourage, Don't Judge

Life is certainly not fair. How does a child that is so full of life have such a deadly virus living in her body? Why? Why not an old person that has had a chance to live life? Probably I'll never get answers to any of those questions.
I frequently hear comments from people (mostly westerners) about why is AIDS so rampant. Why don't people do something to stop it? Why do parents infect their children? It sounds so heartless and lacking compassion when I hear it. Do people not realize the circumstances that most of these people face that puts them at risk for infection.
I live in a society where women have no rights. Their well being often depends on a man. A woman's no is heard as a yes by men. So, what can a woman do? Really, only pray and trust God that her husband will be faithful. This is rare, the faithfulness, I mean. Remember I live in a society that says it's OK for a man to have many wives.
I don't think any mother would intentionally infect her child, especially not a mother that understands the consequences of this infection. But, what can this mother do? Often she is depending on her husband for economic survival. She has no where to run to. And what man is going to come home and tell his wife, "Oh, by the way, I've been sleeping around. I'm now infected with HIV so you probably are too." Few, if any. So, most mothers don't know they are infected until they begin falling sick. By then it may be too late for the child. So many women here don't have access to prenatal care. This means that preventing transmission to the unborn child is low.
Instead of condemning these women, why not encourage them and help fight for their rights!

No comments: