Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Homesick

This may not be an exact quote but I'm sure many of you have heard it a time or two so will know exactly what I'm referring to!
I've heard that as long as we are here on earth we'll always feel homesick.  It's the longing for our home in heaven and not feeling complete until we get there.  It's not those exact words but I think you get the point.

I've been so homesick lately!  It's so odd for me as I've always felt so comfortable here.  I know that even if I went back to the U.S. I'd be longing for Uganda.  Guess it's that thing of never really being satisfied.  But, according to the "quote" above, I'll never really feel at home, not until I reach my final destination in heaven.

Why am I homesick?  I really have no idea.  I know the things I miss, the things that I wish were available at my fingertips here.  Walks in the park, drinking a coffee while reading a book at Starbucks, movie nights out with friends, eating out with friends, hanging out with friends at home, Bible studies, my home church, praise and worship, real friendships (that's another post all by itself), climbing Pinnacle Mountain, road trips, paved roads, electricity and water all the time, etc., etc., etc.

But, I try to remind myself I've what I've gained in being here.  A wonderful husband, three adorable and loveable kids, being more reliable on God than ever before, He's my best friend, swimming with my kids, nights out with the family, the kids at school, the people I'd never have met if I wouldn't have been willing to come here, all the things that I've learned in my time here, praise and worship in another language, baking with Jackie, teaching Yosam, all the laughs I hear from Jurnee, late night conversations with David, date nights...... the list is long!

So, I try to remember I'm where God wants me to be, walking in His plan for me, and that wherever I am that is in His will I am home.  Ultimately "home is where the heart is."  And my heart is here!  I just have to remember that and cherish the memories I have from the years before Uganda, continue to keep those long distance relationships going, and love with all I have those that are around me now!


No comments: