Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Night of Encouragement

Last night, Mercy for Mamas hosted a Night of Encouragement for missionary women living in and around Kampala!  Just a little about Mercy for Mamas......  It's a ministry that strives to reduce the number of orphans by reducing mother deaths during childbirth.  They put together mama kits- everything a woman needs to deliver a baby (either at home or in a hospital).  Most hospitals and clinics here do not provide materials, even gloves to doctors.  It's the mother that brings these things to the hospital with her when she goes to deliver her baby.  The cost is too much for many woman, meaning that many women risk their lives and deliver from home without the help of a doctor or midwife!

Back to the Night of Encouragement!  Mercy for Mamas has a small team in from several different states for a little over a week.  One of the things they are doing during their time here are hosting these times of refreshment for missionary women in Kampala, Jinja, and Mbale.  

I wasn't real sure about going.  I've not gone out without the kids at night since Jurnee was born.  I'm not the most social person and felt nervous about being around so many people that I didn't know.  A couple of the volunteers at Vision of Destiny decided that they were going and one is comfortable driving at night in Kampala.  She told me to tag along with them.  This was probably the encouragement I needed to just go ahead and go.  And I'm so glad I did.

Everyone arrived and it was so laid back.  People moved around greeting each other and meeting new people.  I knew a few other ladies that were there and some I didn't really know but had seen at church.  So, it began to feel more comfortable.  Then they served us dinner.  It was a buffet style dinner with a variety of foods.  There was a really nice pasta dish, sandwiches, crackers with meat and cheese, salad, chips with salsa and guacamole!  It was delicious.  

After eating and chatting a bit, everyone introduced themselves.  I was thrilled to hear ladies that had lived in Uganda close to 20 years introduce themselves!  It's possible to survive here really long term!  

Then we had a time of worship.  It was tremendously refreshing to see and hear so many women worshipping God together in one place!  After that there were some door prizes given away.

Next was a time of prayer.  We were asked to break up into small groups of 5-7 people (finding people that we didn't already know) and share openly things that are challenging us and pray together about it.  I was in a group with four other ladies: one that teaches at a Christian University here, one that works with the Church of Uganda, one that works with International Justice Mission, and one that works with AID Sudan.  All really incredible ladies.

I think this was my favorite part of the night!  When looking at these women, at first I felt intimidated.  Each one was beautiful and seemed so together.  I kept thinking I was out of place in that group.  First, I'm almost 8 months pregnant and huge!  And I don't feel like I've got it so together!

The one that teaches at the Christian University opened up first and began sharing.  Each one of us began jumping in.  It was amazing how much each one struggled with similar things that I struggle with- homesickness, feeling inadequate, feeling like what am I doing here- am I even making a difference, and so many other things.  Then we prayed for each other.  It felt wonderful being able to share and pray openly with others who "get it."

Afterwards we were able to mingle a bit more.  I met another missionary that is married to a Ugandan and runs a children's project and lives not too far from me!  She also has a baby girl just a few months older than Jurnee.  We're hoping to be able to get together from time to time, hang out and let the kids play.  I also met a lady that I see every Sunday at church.  We were finally able to learn each other's names.  She's super sweet.  We talked for a while and also hope to be able to get together once in a while.  

As we were leaving we were given goody bags!  They were awesome!  Lots of stuff from the states that we can't find here (or at least not cheaply)- tootsie rolls, starburst, pens, chocolates, ranch dressing, taco seasoning mix, lotion, etc!!!!!  Let's just say the talk on the way home was largely about what was in the goody bags!

So thankful to Mercy for Mamas for hosting last night!


No comments: