Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Trusting for Provision

This has always been a challenge for me, but more especially since being a missionary.  Ever since I can remember, I've always worked multiple jobs at the same time.  I like the security of knowing that my next meal is provided for, rent will be paid when it is due, and other basic necessities are available when I need them.
It's a little different when relying on support.  It's out of my control.  Some months are wonderful and excess support coming in, making it possible to save for the next month.  Other months are very tight.  So tight that fear can begin to creep in.
The last few months have been those months.  And to ask for support, help, assistance, to me feels like begging.  I hate doing it.  I haven't really made it a priority.  It's not been hard for me to raise money for the school.  Not that all the school needs are met.  But, somehow, I don't feel as guilty asking for sponsorship for a child, money for rent to keep the school going, etc.  For myself, I just haven't been able to do it.
When I was here in 2004-2007, the cost of living wasn't so high and I was single, having only my own needs to meet.
When I came back in 2008, I was still along and although prices had risen a bit, they weren't too bad.  I had enough support to be fairly comfortable.  Not extravagant, but comfortable.  Now, four years later, a lot has changed.
Prices are much higher.  Gas prices can go as high as $7.50/gallon at times.  This makes the prices of everything rise.  Rent has increased.  The house I lived in in 2005 was a three bedroom house (shared by myself and two housemates) and rent was only around $200/month.  That same house now rents for over $600/month.  Food prices have increased.
And now we are a family of five (soon to be six)!  The cost of meeting our needs has grown.  Unfortunately, the support we receive has not grown.  I'm receiving pretty much the same amount of support in 2012 as in 2008.  The same supporters.  This is largely due to my lack of wanting to "beg" for new supporters or increases in support.
But, it has brought fear.  The last couple of months have been tight.  I know that I'm supposed to trust and lean on God for His provision.  He brought me here for a reason.  He won't let me starve or have me homeless.  But, it's hard to trust.  I tend to be more of a worrier.  I don't want to wait.  I don't like seeing my children go without.  I know it's a lesson for them to trust God as well, but it's still hard.
I worry about how we'll pay our next six months rent when it is next due.  I worry about if we will have enough to eat (real fear to a 30 week pregnant woman)!  I worry if we'll have enough money saved by the time the baby gets here to pay for the doctor and the hospital.
So, if you are reading this, will you pray with me that I will trust God for His provision.  Pray that I will be bold enough to speak to people about our need for support.  But, mostly, pray that I won't worry and that I'll be free from fear!

No comments: