Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Ice Cream Date



I am determined that I want to have some one on one quality time with each of my kids.  It may not happen frequently but I want it to be often enough that they each feel they are important.  And it's a great way for me to really get to know them as individuals.

Throughout the day, it seems like I'm running around in chaos (not really true but feels like it at times).  At home with four kids it's hard to really give each one the individual attention.  Joelee, of course, probably gets the most just because she's a newborn and needs it.  And Jurnee still demands quite a bit too.

Homeschooling the big kids has been great because it lets me sneak in a few minutes of each day with them just by themselves.  Sometimes it's reading a book together, working on a worksheet, or talking through a Bible lesson.

But, it's also fun to get away with them on a "date" once in a while.  So, today I needed to run to the supermarket to pick up a few things for the next week.  I decided to let Yosam go along with me and we had ice cream before shopping.  He was so mature.  He was opening doors for me and carrying Joelee's baby bag.  We sat and had ice cream and he talked a lot.  He was sharing with me things he was remembering from different Bible stories, asking me questions about when I was a kid, and talking about things he doesn't like.

But, the cutest thing was when we went into the supermarket.  I put Joelee's carseat in one shopping cart and he was pushing the second shopping cart so that we actually had somewhere to put the items that we needed.  Joelee started fussing a bit.  Yosam suggested that I shop and he push Joelee and make her sleep.  I was scared that she'd start screaming and knew she was sleepy.  He did an awesome job.  He made sure to not go to fast, but also not go too slow and in no time she was fast asleep!

All in all, even though it was running an errand, it was a fun ice cream date too.  I loved getting to talk with him and hearing what's going on in his head!

He's growing up and really is turning into a remarkable young guy!

No comments: