Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Grace For Ourselves and Other Moms

Do you ever have one of those days?  You know the ones where nothing seems to go right..... the ones where you are seeped in guilt and wish there were do overs........ the ones where you wondered what happened to the mom you used to be or want to be..........
Life happens and sometimes not the way we want it to.  I know there have been many times when I've lost patience and regretted it later.  It's happened when I've had little sleep the night before, kids have cried and fought the entire day, and there's been more disobedience than usual.  I've lost it and disciplined when really that probably wasn't what was needed at the time.  Sometimes what's needed and would be the best thing to do is to just pull the child close to me in a hug and spend some one on one time snuggling and reading a good book.  But, instead I'll speak harshly or send my child away from me.  Then I'll feel guilty, like the worst mom ever.  I'll end up wishing to have a second chance or to have those moments back.
I waste a lot of time wishing for a second chance.  It seems like life with my little ones just flies by!  I have to remember grace for myself!  And be thankful that God does give second chances.  Each morning is a new day.  Grace for myself!  It's usually easier to extend grace to others than to ourselves.
Have you ever been out to eat or in the middle of grocery shopping and your kids decide to melt down and throw a not so quick to end tantrum there and then?  Grace for yourself!  It's ok.  They're children and they're going to throw a tantrum once in a while.  That still doesn't mean you have to give the child what he wants.  You are still the parent and a child is still a child.  You can remain calm and know that the tantrum WILL eventually END!  Grace for yourself!  You are not a bad parent.
You know those times when you're sitting in a restaurant quietly minding your own business?  Then out of the blue a loud, high-pitched wailing sound!  Someone else's kid is throwing the tantrum. We've all been there.  This is a great time to extend grace.  A quiet smile.  A gently mouthed, "It's ok."  When our kids are throwing tantrums, it's nice to feel supported, not like we're ruining everyone else's day!
But, we're usually our own worst critic........ and critic of other women.  Why is it that we can't encourage and support each other?  Extending grace to ourselves and to other moms just might be what gets us through the day, the next hour, or even the next minute.

No comments: