Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Grace I Desire...... When There's a Need for Discipline

So, I think we all can probably say that we sometimes look at grace as a "free get off the hook" when we've done something wrong.  Or even sometimes we may even think of grace as getting away with something without the consequence.
However, when I look at my children I don't see grace that way.  I see letting them off the hook, no consequences, or looking the other way when they sin as unloving.  I don't want to see my children go down a wrong path.  I want them to make wise choices.  And I know that probably will not happen without discipline.
Yes, discipline can seem unpleasant at the time, but it's for our own good.  When my children do something wrong I want to correct them because I love them.  I don't want my correction to be harsh, to be done in anger, or when I've lost patience.  I want my correction to be teaching so that my child will make a better choice the next time.  I want my children to know that I discipline them because I love them.  I desire for discipline to be measured out alongside grace.  Even though my child has done something wrong, I want my child to know that I still love her.  After discipline has taken place, I desire for the relationship to be restored.  I don't want my child to think that her sin is held against her, but for her to know they're forgiven.
Do I always get this right?  Absolutely not.  It's my heart's desire, but often time my own sin gets in the way.  I lose patience.  I get angry.  I grow annoyed at the normal things children do.  I get tired.  I need a break.  And I don't extend grace.
Thankfully, God always does extend grace.  Even when I'm impatient, angry, annoyed, and tired, His grace is sufficient.  I just need to reach out for it.  Out of an abundance of His grace, I'll be able to extend more grace.

No comments: