Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

Our Newest Addition

So, a little off topic...... but I'm guessing somehow I can make it stretch.  It's always good to extend grace, not just to our children, but to ourselves and to others!  Plus, if I don't write this post, it might keep getting put off and never appear here.
I'd like to introduce you to our newest addition (even though she's almost 8 weeks old now)......  Baby Jamaree!
Our third baby (fourth child), you'd think we'd have it all under control by now.  However, these little ones don't always go by our plans.  Our little girl was due on July 31.  I know it's just an expected date, not super accurate.  The first two were early so I was sure this one would be two.  Even the doctor was!  At my 36 week appointment he said he didn't think he'd be seeing me at 38 weeks, that he figured baby was ready to come at any time.  I was excited!  By that time I was so uncomfortable.  But, 38 weeks came and went.  I saw the doctor and he was for sure I wouldn't have to come in again.  But, again I did at 39 weeks.  Again, he figured any day.
Then I asked a stupid question.....  What if she didn't come by her due date?  His answer: Wait a week and then we'll induce.  That's all I needed to hear for their to be worry, stress, sleepless nights, panic, lots of googling inductions (really shouldn't have done that- I convinced myself I was going to end up having a C-section).  A week past and to the doctor I went again.  Thankfully, my friend Sarah accompanied me.
My doctor was in no rush to induce!  Thank God!  He first checked the baby's heartbeat and said it looked good.  He decided to do an ultrasound and if all looked good to let me wait one more week.  So, off to the ultrasound tech I went.  All looked good!  Fluid levels were great and baby was doing well.  The doctor said waiting another week was fine, but should the next week arrive with no baby to come in early that morning for an induction.  We also discussed epidurals and C-sections.  A little side note:  Here in Uganda, epidurals are not the norm.  My first two were born without one.  The thought of being induced without an epidural terrified me (enough to almost just ask for a C-section).  Thankfully, my doctor said that as long as I could pay extra an epidural would be available.  A huge sigh of relief from me!
Baby girl was slow to get here but she came in God's timing- and not by induction!  By this time I was trying everything I read that might possibly work to get this baby here: eating pineapple (yes, I read that somewhere), spicy foods, lots and lots of walking (especially really steep hills).  And all the time tried to keep life as normal as possible.  So, Monday, August 10, I took my oldest to swim practice as usual, came home and had a normal evening, then went to bed.  Around 1:40 a.m. on the morning of August 11, I felt a bit uncomfortable.  A couple of minutes later I felt really uncomfortable.  I should probably mention that I have really fast deliveries.  I woke up my husband and we "flew" to the hospital.  We arrived there pretty quickly only to be left waiting in the reception area.  We forgot to call my doctor as we were leaving home, but remembered when we arrived at the hospital.  The doctor that was on call that night had an "emergency."  Of what type I have no idea because he was hanging out in the reception area the entire time I was waiting.  I walked around in intense pain.  Finally, I was taken up to the delivery room.  I was barely there (about five minutes) when I was ready to push.  Two pushes later, baby girl arrived.  Total labor and delivery: 1 hour and 10 minutes!
So, while she took her time to get here, once she was ready, she made a quick exit!  She's a beautiful, happy baby.  She's calm and peaceful, only crying when she's ready to sleep.  And already loved by her three big sisters!
Grace!  I pray that I extend it to the four treasures God has given me.  I pray that they understand the grace that He gives them.  I pray that they practice grace in their lives, extending it to others.  Tomorrow, I promise, on to grace and discipline.  Pray for me as I try to live out grace to my crew: 10, 3, 2, and 8 week old little girls!





No comments: