Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Living Under Construction

Ok, I love having a brand new place to live, but it would be even greater if it was finished. I moved in last week and was promised that everything would be finished by Saturday. Well, Saturday has come and gone and my place is still under construction.
I now have a front door (the key to it still hasn't appeared but I do have a door), all my windows and running water. I'm still missing a back door, all of my cabinets and have several leaks (due to now have running water).
The last couple of days it looks as though very little has been done. This morning no one even entered the place to work on it. I heard lots of sounds of construction from the apartment under me. Possibly there's going to be a new tenant soon and it needs urgent attention. Who really knows? This is Africa so I'm learning that it will get done when it gets done.
It seems life is sort of like a construction zone. I look around at all the dust around me and realize that my life has some areas that need some dusting off. I have a few leaks in my life and there are repairs that need to be done on my heart. Sometimes I can hear and feel the sounds of construction as God works on the areas that need working on. Other times it feels like He's not entering the area at all. I know this is not true. Just as the carpenters this morning never entered my apartment, I know they were working. They assured me that they were building the cabinets. Now I may not be as assured that the carpenters are doing their work, but I am assured that the Master Carpenter is busy at work. Even when I am despairing that I'm not changing, I am assured that He is busy making me more and more like Him. He is rebuilding the areas that need to be rebuilt and repairing the broken places. Sometimes silently but still, work is going on.

No comments: