Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Moved In

So, moving is always an adventure and this move proved to be no less of one. It started with getting out of the old apartment. Remember I've not had a flushing toilet or water in most of the house for almost six months. The landlord, for whatever reason, couldn't ever seem to get anyone there to fix it. Oh, and no electricity in half of the house either. And that problem was ongoing since before we even moved in. But, when it came time for collecting rent or any other payment, the landlord was sure to be there.
Of course he knew I was moving yesterday evening so he needed to be there to inspect the place. In other words, he needed to be there to see if he could figure out a way to get more money out of me. So, he arrived with a huge electric and water bill. Where the water bill came from nobody knows? Isn't it kind of hard to charge someone for something that doesn't exist. Then the electric bill was totally outrageous. He then began complaining about all the repairs that needed to be done. Then he had the nerve to tell me to leave the light bulbs in the rooms that the electricity actually does work in.
I was speechless, at least at first. Then I decided that I wasn't going to let him take advantage of me. I refused paying the water bill, accepted to pay only a portion of the electric bill, told him I was taking the light bulbs (after all what landlord provides you with them when you move in; I bought them so I was taking them), and told him I wasn't giving him any money for any repairs. I've been asking for repairs for months so let him fix them for the next person. I seriously doubt he will. It seems all the neighbors have the same problems.
He was being equally as stubborn and locked the gate so that the moving truck couldn't leave. After three and half hours of arguing, he finally let me leave. I didn't pay the water bill. I gave him what I wanted to for the electric bill and nothing for repairs. And I kept the light bulbs. By this time it was already approaching 10:00 at night.
Now came getting to the new place. We finally reached there at around 10:30 only to find that the apartment is not finished. It's a brand new apartment and it was supposed to be finished by the 5th of this month. Earlier in the morning, the new landlord had let me know that there were a few minor things that needed to be finished, one being that the place was a little dusty. A little dusty was an understatement. Dust was everywhere: the walls, the doors and on the ground almost a foot high! He forgot to mention that my house was missing a few windows and the doors couldn't lock. Oh and my shower leaks so I shouldn't turn it on.
I just laughed. What else could I do? At least he was very accommodating. His brother provided me security during the night and brought me water to shower with both last night and this morning. His mom brought me breakfast and best of all guys were there working on things when I left this morning.
I don't think it will be finished by the time I get home today. It will probably take a week for my apartment to look like a home and probably until around March for the compound to look livable.

No comments: