Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blocked Paths

So, many of my recent posts have been about something blocking a path. And this one will continue the theme.
An update on the fence that blocks my shortcut to the taxi from home: Many people opted to just climb through the barb wire. I, as well as most women, opted to take the longer route. It's not exactly easy to climb through a fence in a skirt while making sure neither your clothes nor your skin gets torn. The owners didn't seem to like the fact that people continued to climb through the fence so they chopped down a tree and added that to the fence. Now there is no option but to choose the longer route. There is no way through the tree branches, at least not without your skin being scratched.
Well, now there is a new fence up, although still without the tree branches. This one is in the slum that I've been working in. For as long as anyone can remember the field where we meet has been a big open field, there for anyone to use. The kids used the lower part as a football pitch and for other games. The upper part, where there is slightly more grass, was where the adults always met. Well, on Sunday, to everyone's surprise, we arrived to find the lower part fenced off. No one is sure who put it up or why. At first the kids tried to move to the upper part of the field. After being chased away by the adults, they decided it was better to climb through the fence and still play on the lower part except for when the upper part is vacant of adults. This has always been the case. They like the upper part for the grass as much as we adults do. With the number of people and the conditions of the environment in the slum, I don't expect this fence to last long, or at least I don't expect it to be standing perfectly for long.
But, now on to a more serious but less visible blocked path. I have dreamed of starting a school in Uganda for so many years. Next Monday, Feb. 2, was supposed to be the start date. Now this seems to be becoming less and less of a reality. As the date got nearer, I was informed of some things that HAVE to be done. I'm not sure how HAVE to be done they really are but since it could become a problem if I don't do them, I'll have to wait for them to be done.
It has been frustrating. I come from a culture where everything is done quickly and somewhat in order. Here there seems to be no order. Things are not done quickly. There is so much corruption that sometimes I wonder if I'm even moving in the direction of forward.
I've been told that the delays will only be minor. This remains to be seen. As for right now, the only thing for me to do is to continue setting up the classroom, making lesson plans, and continue praying that I will see God move things for me here.
By the way, as I'm waiting for the school to start, I'm still waiting for my work permit to be approved. It's now been around 6 months and it was supposed to be done in 3.
I'm praying that although this delay seems like a blocked path that it will be for good in the end. I'm praying that although I'm disappointed in having to wait that the waiting will mean things will be that much more in order.

No comments: