Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Plant a Tree in the Middle of the Road or Better Yet Build a Fence Across One

A few days ago, I wrote about seeing a tree planted in the middle of the road. That was sort of funny to see, at least it gave me something to write about. It's now gone. However, the latest development in things in the road is not so funny and may not be moved as quickly.
I recently moved into a new neighborhood and quickly learned the shortest route from my house to board a taxi. Just two short weeks later, this route is no longer an option. On Thursday, as I was leaving home, I noticed wooden poles across the road. I immediately thought that was odd. Why would someone put wooden poles across the road? My question was answered when I returned home later that day to find that no longer was it just poles across the road. Someone had added wire to the poles, making a fence. Since I knew no other route to get home, I crawled through the wire. Not an option for daily passage, though.
The neighborhood is still trying to figure out who built the fence and why. It seems that someone has purchased that little piece of land. We're waiting to see if that same person will decide to build a structure (house in the middle of the road).
It has meant that everyone living on our side of the fence now has to use a slightly longer route to get to and from home. Just another small inconvenience of living in Africa. Who needs city planning? Just build whatever you want wherever you feel like it!

No comments: