Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Spare the Rod and Your Child Will Be a Brat

I think God gave us a little extra padding on the backside to be able to withstand a few spankings now and then during childhood. I don't know why parents don't seem to realize this, or at least some parents.
I know I don't have children but I've been around enough of them to know which ones are a joy and which ones I'd rather run from. Note to parents: Most people find it a joy to be around children who are disciplined and have good manners. Most people do not enjoy your children when they are undisciplined and bad mannered. In other words, if your child is a brat, people don't find it a joy to be around them.
I also know that no child is perfect. They will all have their moments when they seem less than disciplined or choose not to have good manners. But, this can be overlooked occasionally if most of the time the child is not a BRAT. Everyone is entitled to having a bad day once in a while.
Generally, I love children. I love being around them. I like watching them learn new things and hearing the silly things they say.
Recently, I have met a young child that I would prefer to spend the least amount of time around as possilbe. He's over two years old and is extremely undisciplined. I know two year olds can be difficult at times, but this one is beyond overboard. He constantly cries. And it's not even really crying. There are no tears. He's just whining and screaming. I've been around him a lot over the last few days. Any time he is told no, the whining and screaming starts. What makes it bad is that instead of sticking to the no, the parents then give into what they have just said no to. What does that teach him? Certainly not that my parents mean what they say. Then to top it off, the parents then tell him sorry. Sorry for what? Sorry for not giving him his way in the first place. They will probably be sorry later for not sticking to the no. They will probably later wish they had more frequently had a belt to bottom talk when as a teenager he is out of control.

No comments: