Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Sunday

The rainy season is in full effect! Yesterday, for Easter it was raining mad dogs. It started during the night and continued until the mid-afternoon. So, like any good heathen, I missed church. What? Missing church on a holiday! You see, when it rains here, you can't move, especially where I live. I live next to a slum and there are no paved roads so walking anywhere becomes tricky. When it rains, it is muddy, slippery and the mud is all mixed with only God knows what. So, when it rains, everyone stays indoors until it is dry enough to move around without disastrous consequences.
I enjoyed a nice, quiet morning at home and then around 4 in the afternoon decided that it was dry enough to move out of the house. Bad call. I reached the fellowship under the avocado tree with a layer of about two inches of mud (and God knows what else) on the bottom of my shoes. Also, it was freezing. Ok, maybe not freezing, but it was cold enough that long sleeves and a jacket were needed.
After the fellowship was over, I went to my Uganda mom's house for dinner. Our journey from the fellowship to her home was quite an interesting one! I was wearing sandals that happen to slip in wet weather. (What made me think of wearing those on a day like that?) And she was wearing the traditional dress of Uganda which has an under layer that makes it difficult to jump over the trenches and the mud puddles! We finally made it, although with another layer of mud, this time between our toes and covering the tops of our feet.
The journey was worth it though. We spent the next several hours at her home with her son and daughter, and her neighbor (a South Sudanese soldier working here in Uganda). We cooked lots of great food and enjoyed conversing until late in the night. Then it was time to head home, again jumping trenches and the mud, for a much needed shower.
Although I missed church, I'm glad the rain had stopped enough for me to head to my mom's place. It's still one of my favorite places here. Last night as we were sitting there talking and laughing with the light of a single candle, I thought about how content I was there, how much I felt loved there, and how there is no other place in the world that God I would want God to have me at the moment.

No comments: