Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

When a 3 Year Old's Stomach Blows Up

I really love the kids that I'm working with. They drive me nuts at times, but overall, I really enjoy them.
Sometimes, though, I do wonder what I got myself into. Like this morning. Hadijah, my teaching assistant, called to let me know she was stuck in a traffic jam. Not unusual for morning hours here and I couldn't get annoyed because she's always way earlier than I expect her.
So, this morning all the kids had shown up and for once they were all on time. This is not the norm. Anyway, I decided that instead of frustrating myself over the language issue, that I would let them play a bit until Hadijah arrived. Good idea! Things were going great. Some were looking at books. Others were doing puzzles. Some were drawing pictures. And one beautiful little girl was playing on the floor with stuffed animals.
All was going well until I started smelling a foul smell. The kids are all toilet trained so no one has yet had an accident. Well, that streak ended this morning. As I began checking around, I discovered that the little girl playing with the stuffed animals had a massive attack of diarrhea. Not a pretty picture. The place was a mess. She was a mess. No change of clothes were around. Thankfully, we are in Africa and I was able to just bathe her and let her run around naked, at least until her clothes were washed and dried. But, the mat she was playing on is still a mess. I'm not sure if it will ever be the same!
Anyway, after we got her cleaned up and the floors mopped and Hadijah arrived, the day went on as usual as any other day in the life of a room full of 3 and 4 year olds!

No comments: