Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

The Rat is Back

Remember the rat that was in my home when I first moved into my new apartment. Well, after that sighting and putting out traps, I never saw him or any evidence of him again. That is until last night and again this morning.
I am ashamed to say this but I have not dusted my room in a couple of weeks which is really evident where I live. Because of all the dirt roads, especially in the dry season, the place stays a bit dusty. Anyway, last night as I was putting clothes away, I noticed rat footprints in the dust on my bedside table, my bookshelf and on the headboard of my bed. Since I noticed the footprints, I decided to check my bed. Lots of little droppings there that weren't that morning when I made the bed. I sent a message to my boss in the U.S. (I love the fact that I can send text messages from my phone!) that the rat had returned. His reply: oh crap. My reply back: Yeah, lots of it.
I knew that there was not really much I could do so I continued putting clothes away (after changing the sheets on my bed). That's when I saw it. It ran out from behind the suitcase where I was putting my clothes and out of the room. I chased it but it ran out of my front door which has a really wide gap under it. The reason the rat has free access to my house!
So, again last night, I slept with the lights on because the guard still assures me that they won't come back if the light is on. I still think he is just telling me that so I won't bother him but at least it eases my mind enough that I can get some sleep, although I wake up every couple of hours making sure all my toes are still there. The rats here are known to bite your feet at night while sleeping. However, I made it through the night without missing any toes or fingers.
Then........ this morning I got up to get ready for my kids arrival for school. It had rained during the night and was a bit cool so I wanted to put on a sweater. I put it on. No problem except for the big lump in my sleeve which shouldn't have been there. I quickly pulled my arm back out and out dropped the rat! I was disgusted which gave it another chance to escape.
I've really got to get that gap covered, destroy every rat hiding place possible and get some better traps.

No comments: