Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

School Celebration of Easter

I realize that my last two posts, the only two so far for April, have been about poop so for this one I will digress to a more pleasant topic. Easter!
Easter is a big holiday for Christians in Uganda and everyone is looking forward to it. We wanted the kids to have a special treat for Easter and what better way to do that than to have chicken for lunch! Chicken is a really rare treat. It's expensive for Ugandan standards so only eaten on special occasions. Actually any kind of meat is a treat for most people here, including me. I splurged when Eric was here and ate it frequently. This spoiled me so I've also been wanting to eat meat.
I've been really blessed in being able to stretch my support to cover the cost of feeding the children. Most schools in Uganda feed the children the same menu every day: posho (mingled flour) and beans. So far, I've managed mixing up our menu and including fresh fruit, vegetables such as greens and cabbage, and feeding the children porridge every morning for breakfast along with boiled eggs as often as I can afford them.
Also, on Fridays we feed the children these small fish (which I don't know the English name for) which are cheap here and have had beef once. So, since there is no school tomorrow, we had our meat for the week today. Chicken!
It was delicious! We first smoked it and then cooked it in a delicious soup and served it with cut up chapatis. Can I say it again? It was delicious. There was not a scrap of meat, fat, or gristle left on anyone's bones, just a heap of bones left!
Hopefully we'll get to do this again before the Christmas break at the end of the school year! It was a great treat for child and adult alike.














No comments: