Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

AAAHHHH....... RATS!!!!

So, at the beginning of January I moved into a new apartment which, by the way, is still under construction. The carpenters haven't touched my apartment in the last couple of weeks so it looks like it will be a while before I have a completed apartment. Oh well, I guess I'm learning the art of waiting.
Along with the construction not being done, there are some unwanted tenants. Rats! These ones are bigger than the ones in the last place and they still don't pay rent.
Last weekend I was with a friend eating a snack in the sitting room when across the room I noticed some small pellets. I had just swept and mopped that morning so there shouldn't have been anything there. I looked closer and found that it was the droppings of a rat. Not a small mouse but a good sized rat. Then I also noticed that the door between the sitting room and the kitchen which is usually locked since the kitchen doesn't really exist, was chewed on.
I left to go and buy some rat traps and later that evening came home and entered my bedroom. What did I see? Right there in my bed more evidence of the rat. It or they had left plenty of their droppings all over my nice, clean sheets. Needless to say I was totally disgusted. I removed the sheets and went to get the security guard to help me find it to kill it. We never found it so he told me that rats won't come out in the light so I should just sleep with the light on. I think he was just telling me that to get me to let him go and so that I would actually stay in the house that night.
I did as he said and have continued sleeping with the light on. I don't know if they are really scared of the light or not, but I definitely don't want to wake up in the morning missing any toes. As of now, I have not caught any in any of the many traps set up around the house. It seems they are too smart for that. The next step was to put out poison. That as well doesn't seem to have much impact on them as I am still finding pellets around the house.
I now have a new bed time routine: shower, brush teeth, unmake and remake bed to check for rats and/or evidence of them.

No comments: