Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why Is It So Cold?

I thought I had left winter behind! The last two weeks have been so cold here. I've rarely moved out of the house in the morning or evening without a jacket. It has rained almost every day too!
When I left Little Rock, I was too happy to be leaving behind the gray winters. Now I'm experiencing a "gray winter" in Uganda. It's unusual, as this is usually the end of the dry season and usually one of the hottest times of the year. But, due to global warming, everyone keeps telling me that the seasons are changing and this is just an odd year.
So odd that I can't bear to take cold showers right now. I don't have a water heater in my house and never have here but normally the cold showers are a welcome relief to the dust and the heat of the day. But, when the rain started, I discovered that in my new house this is not going to be possible. I live on the 4th floor, meaning there is more wind and is a bit cooler than the ground floor. Plus the water tanks that hold the water are on the roof above me and it's even colder up there. The first cold shower I took when the rain started, I thought someone had poured ice water on me. It was so cold it took my breath away.
Now since there is not water heater and I still don't have a kitchen to boil water, my option was to buy an electric water kettle to heat the water. Oh the joys of bathing out of a bucket!

No comments: