Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mail Carrier

I love getting mail! And it's even better when it's a package. Yesterday I went to pick up one package at the post office and decided to check my mail box on the way. I had notification that there were two more packages waiting for me. 3 packages!!!!
I don't know what I was thinking. I don't have a car and I had to get those packages home. The wisest thing would have been to pick one up at a time on 3 consecutive days. But, no, I wanted them NOW. I didn't want to have to wait until the next day or the day after to see who they were from or what was in them. So, I went to pick them all up.
The first one that came out was a very large envelope. Not bad. That one would be easy to carry home. The second one was a medium size box and not too heavy. OK, so far no problems. I could manage. The third one was a massive box and really heavy. This should be interesting.
So, I got through all of the customs procedures and actually in a fairly short amount of time and without them opening anything. Then it was time to get the packages out of the post office and all the way home. And it would have been priceless for me to have had my camera with me at the time.
I managed to get them all home without damage but I was quite a sight. I got lots of stares and I'm sure quite a few people were laughing as I passed along the way.
Here it's not uncommon to see a woman carrying things on her head, especially in the villages. Even in town it is common to see a street hawker carrying her products on her head. However, it's not common to see someone with my color of skin carrying something on their head. But, that is exactly what I did. I knew there was no way I was going to carry them all in my arms so I stacked them and put them on my head. Now, I'm not as good at it as the women here are. They don't have to use their hands. I did.
It was much lighter to carry them this way. Apparently the muscles in the neck are very strong. But, like I said, I was quite a sight: a "mzungu" woman walking along with two boxes and a very large envelope on her head. I really wish I had a picture of it.
I made it home and unpacked my packages. Such lovely things were sent. Lots of books and games for the kids. Gifts for one of the boys being sponsored and lots of snacks for me. Thanks so much to those of you who sent the hot Cheetos and Reese's peanut butter candy!!!!! Oh how I've missed them.

No comments: