Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

AIDS All Around

I hate this disease. I hate the fact that it seems to strike people who don't deserve it. I hate the fact that there is so much stigma attached to it. I hate that people die.
It's a disease that has become all too common in my life despite the fact that official statistics say that only 6% of Uganda's population is infected. On the ground, that statistic seems unrealistic. In the slum where I work, more than 6% of the population is infected. A couple of years ago I was with a group who tested 350 people in one area. 320 tested positive. That's more than 6%.
Anyway, it's something that people live with and life goes on. You deal with the sickness and the death and the orphans left behind.
Recently I had a friend tell me that she is positive. She's in her mid-30s and the mother of 3 young girls. She has been faithful to her husband but for whatever reason he chose not to be faithful to her. He got infected and passed it on to her. She found out while pregnant with the last child. Luckily she found out early and was able to not pass it on to the child. However, the middle child was not so lucky. Being that my friend was not able to afford any medical care during that time, she breastfed the baby and unknowingly passed it on.
Another friend that I've been good friends with here for a while was also infected this way by her husband. Her youngest child died from AIDS. Her two older children have already lost their father and will probably soon lose their mother. She's currently battling TB, which is a battle frequently lost by AIDS patients.
Why don't men get a clue? If you want to be unfaithful to your wife, can you at least give her the option of protecting herself from whatever disease you choose to acquire?

No comments: