Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Growing Is a Painful Process

From the moment we are conceived, we are growing. Most of that growth can be seen in physical growth. It can be seen in children as they mature with age. But, even us adults don't stop growing and I'm not just talking about the middle age pudge around most waistlines. We keep growing as we keep learning lessons in life.
Some of these lessons are easily learned. Others we keep bumping our heads over and over again until we finally get it.
The last month or so has been a trying time of growth for me. There have been days when I wanted to give up and get out of here. There have been moments when I wanted to scream and hit the nearest person to me. Now, obviously, these were not responses that I could act on and am certainly glad I didn't. But, oh, how I felt like it.
Now after coming through it, hopefully completely on the other side, I can look back and see where there was some growth.
There was some growth in my having to stand up to people. Usually, I just keep quiet and go along so that no one is mad at me. This was a time that I definitely could not do that. It was hard, but I spoke up. Of course, in speaking up I upset someone. I think the person was shocked that I was no longer going to allow him to manipulate me. And of course there is now tension in the relationship. But, I guess that is just another opportunity for growth.
There was growth spiritually. I don't think I've ever prayed this much in my life. Phone calls are expensive to make from here so I can't just pick up the phone any time for advice. Actually, I only called my boss to talk about any of it. So, this left a lot of time talking to God about it and listening to Him. I really felt Him leading me and making things more clear to me. He has really been a great Comforter over the last couple of weeks.
As these next few weeks and months unfold, I'm sure there are going to be many more opportunities to grow. There is much to still be resolved. Thankfully, I'm learning to take things head on instead of pretending that everything is ok when it really isn't.
Also, I'm growing and continuing to learn that the walk as a Christian isn't easy. The enemy is here to fight, not wanting to give up any of his territory. I've realized how much recently I've been stepping on his toes. I'm working in an area where witchcraft and satanic worship are a part of daily life of many. It's an area with many strongholds. For every child that I plant a seed into, I've possibly snatched that child out of his hands. He's certainly not happy and certainly not going to let it be easy for me. I'm praying that God will continue to equip me for the battle and give me the courage to keep moving forward.

No comments: